This is a repost from his birthday last year, and his birthing day the year before.

Today I reflect on life as we head towards 2 in one week.

Happy Birthing Day to Me

Posted on July 6, 2012 by  in Parenting

My friend Sandy always says “happy birthing day” to the mamas on their children’s birthdays. It has stuck with me as the most wonderful way to cherish a birth day. By celebrating birth, our babies and our SELVES as warriors and as mamas.


Here’s a re- post of mr. milo’s birth story. I love you bud. You are a shining light in our family and in my life.


Milton Leon Silicki IV “Milo”  * Due Date July 3, 2011

The entire pregnancy my son, Milo, was measuring a few weeks ahead, so I wasn’t sure we would hit the due date. But it came and it passed on July 4th as we celebrated Independence Day and after a day of events, I had some cramps, but nothing too unusual. I went to bed early and slept well.

The next day I woke up with more cramps and felt a bit tired and out of it. I thought it was from all the energy and activity that had happened the previous day. My daughter Saylor was a little over a week late, so I was prepared to be late with Milo as well. As I went about my day, I noticed that I felt out of it, really out of it. I called my best friend and asked her to come over and play with Saylor when she got home from camp so I could sleep. I thought to myself, “If I wake up and am still cramping then I am in labor. If I sleep and they go away, then it’s false labor.”  A three hour nap later, I woke up still cramping and called my husband to let him know what was going on and to get ready to meet our son.
By 7:00 pm that day, my cramps were intensifying and I called my doula ( URSULA, the magnificent!)  to tell her that I wasn’t sure if I was in labor or it was just cramps; it was hard for me to tell the difference. She told me to get in the bath, see if they went away and call her back. I also gave my midwife ( Whitney Pinger, birth GODDESS)  a head’s up. The contractions/cramps in the tub were not as intense but then I needed to get out and move around a bit more, things were happening fast; I called my dad in Boston and told him so he could make his way to DC and everything began to fall into place.

When my doula arrived at the house, I was in the living room, laboring on a large exercise ball in a squat. My friend arrived to watch our daughter. Everyone was really quiet, whispering, the house was dark and calm. We started timing contractions, got my bags together and let the midwife know we were on our way.

At around 10:00 pm, we arrived at GWU hospital and I had had a contraction in the driveway to the emergency room as an  ambulance was coming in, which was quite an experience! By the time we got up to a room, I was 5 cms and my midwife did a fabulous midwife technique called a  “manual cervical realignment “ and just like that I was 7 cms! They put me in the shower which felt great and was a nice break for about 20 minutes and my water broke on the toilet which was very convenient.

During this time, things were not really progressing and I could tell that he wasn’t moving. I was OVERWHELMED with nausea and at one point remember looking up at my doula and begging her to ”please help me”. Clearly this was when I “hit the wall” and began storming around the room, getting frustration out of my system.

As the 5th of July became the 6th, my labor became very foggy. There was some time on all fours, some time on my side, some figure eights with my hips, some squats, lots of breathing and yoga postures. Eventually Milo moved his head, and we were good to go. He was born “sunny side up”, which refers to the fact that the back of your baby’s skull (the occipital bone) is in the back (or posterior) of your pelvis.
Then while still connected, Milo was with me. He laid on me, all 8.5 pounds of him was breathing and opening his eyes and being so perfect. We were still connected. There was the cord, on my belly, shortly after; I cut the cord myself, the perfect ending to an arduous labor.

Natural childbirth was the hardest thing I have ever physically done in my life but I am so glad to get it off my “bucket list” and so glad to feel our family is complete. I do feel so strong, so empowered. My recovery was fabulous, easy and natural. The Yoga postures that I utilized were really helpful; the breathing got me in and out of mental blocks that surfaced.  I have had two vastly different experiences and feel so blessed to have two healthy, happy babies.


This entry was posted in family and tagged .

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s